Landa Out Of The 2026 Giro D'Italia After Late-Diagnosed Pelvic Fracture — Soudal-Quick-Step Lose Their GC Plan A Eight Days Out From Nessebar
Wednesday afternoon Wevelgem. Soudal-Quick-Step have confirmed that Mikel Landa will not start the Giro d'Italia on 8 May, ending the Basque climber's hopes of a tilt at the maglia rosa just nine days before the Grande Partenza in Nessebar. Follow-up scans this week revealed a small pelvic fracture that was missed in the immediate aftermath of his stage 2 crash at Itzulia Basque Country, when Landa was struck by a race-organisation medical car on a fast descent and landed heavily on his left side.
Landa, 36, had returned to training on the road inside ten days of the Itzulia incident on the assumption that the residual discomfort in his hip and pelvis was soft-tissue bruising. He told the team after a final altitude block on Monte Bondone last week that the pain was not improving as expected, and the team's medical staff sent him for further imaging on Monday. The CT scan at AZ Sint-Jan in Bruges identified a small but unambiguous fracture of the left iliac crest — the kind of injury that does not always show up on a first-pass X-ray taken in a finish-line ambulance.
"Obviously I'm disappointed," Landa said in the team's statement. "I worked very hard to come back after a difficult winter, and I was starting to feel good again in the Basque Country. I had some discomfort after the crash, but the fracture was hard to detect. The medical team has been clear: I need rest now, not more training, if I want to race again this season."
The withdrawal is the second high-profile GC defection from the 2026 Giro inside a fortnight, after João Almeida's respiratory illness ruled the Portuguese out of UAE Team Emirates-XRG's Giro plans on Monday. With the Bulgarian Grande Partenza now nine days away, the start list has thinned at the top: Jonas Vingegaard, Giulio Pellizzari, Primož Roglič, Juan Ayuso, Adam Yates and Richard Carapaz remain the six clearest podium candidates.
Soudal-Quick-Step had built their public Giro narrative around Landa as the GC card and a stage-hunting cluster of Ilan Van Wilder, Mauri Vansevenant and Luke Lamperti. With Landa absent, Van Wilder is now the team's nominal GC leader on a roster that was always built to support a more proven climber. Sports director Klaas Lodewyck told the team's site that the Belgian's long-term programme — Suisse, Tour de France, Olympics — will not be shifted, but that he will start the Giro "with a free road" and target a top-ten if his Bulgarian opening week goes to plan.
The Belgian side has already named one replacement on the eight: 23-year-old Paul Magnier takes Landa's place, his second Grand Tour, and will be supported in the bunch sprints by Bert Van Lerberghe and Casper Pedersen. Magnier, the breakthrough fast-finisher of the spring classics block, opens at 16/1 for stage one in Nessebar and 8/1 for the maglia ciclamino, a card the team had not originally planned to play.
The wider question for Soudal-Quick-Step is what happens next for Landa. His contract expires at the end of 2026, and the Spanish climber has previously said he wants to keep racing into 2027 if his form allows. Iliac-crest fractures typically require six to eight weeks before full load-bearing training, which would rule him out of the Critérium du Dauphiné and put even the Tour of Slovenia in late June at risk. The realistic next race target is the Tour of Austria in early July, with the Vuelta a España in late August as the season's salvage objective.
For Landa personally, the story has another dimension. The Itzulia crash was the second time in three years he has been taken down by a race-organisation vehicle, and the team's statement makes pointed reference to "the responsibility of race organisers to maintain absolute safety distances around riders." The UCI's safety commission opened an internal review on the Itzulia incident last week. Whatever its conclusions, it will not bring Landa to the start line in Nessebar.
Related Articles
- Visma-Lease a Bike Confirm 2026 Giro Roster — Vingegaard's Trilogy Bid With Kuss-Kelderman-Affini-Lemmen-Kielich-Campenaerts-Piganzoli
- UAE Team Emirates-XRG Confirm Ayuso & Yates As Giro 2026 Co-Leaders, Del Toro On Grand Tour Debut
- Red Bull-BORA-Hansgrohe Confirm 2026 Giro Roster — Roglič Leads, Hindley And Martínez Stack The GC Card