Bryan Coquard Locks In Cofidis Through 2027: French Sprinter Confirms Contract Extension Mid-Race At Pays de la Loire As Pre-Roubaix Speculation Ends
The longest-running French sprinter contract saga of the spring is over. Bryan Coquard confirmed in a Thursday-evening podium press conference in Château-Gontier that he has signed a one-year extension with Cofidis through the end of the 2027 season, putting an end to six weeks of speculation that had at one point linked him to TotalEnergies, Decathlon-AG2R-La Mondiale and a return to the Vendée roots of B&B Hôtels' replacement project. The 33-year-old Frenchman made the announcement himself, speaking to reporters seventeen seconds after stepping off the Stage 3 podium with the second-place trophy in his hands and Ethan Vernon's yellow jersey still seventeen seconds out of his reach.
"I am Cofidis," Coquard said, in the same breath as he handed his bidon to a junior fan in the front row of the small Mayenne village podium. "I have been Cofidis since 2022. I am Cofidis until at least the end of 2027. I will tell you everything else about it tomorrow. Tonight I am still annoyed about losing seventeen seconds to a man younger than my second daughter." He smiled as he said it. The seventeen seconds is the only number anyone in the Cofidis team will be talking about between now and Friday lunchtime in Brûlon, when the 179.5km Pays de la Loire Tour Stage 4 to Le Mans gives him one more realistic chance to overhaul the NSN Pro Cycling rider in yellow.
The contract extension itself was first reported by L'Équipe at 17:42 Thursday, twenty minutes before the Stage 3 podium ceremony in Château-Gontier, citing two sources inside the Cofidis service course. The team has not yet released a formal press statement — CEO Cédric Vasseur is in Compiègne in the lead-up to Sunday's Paris-Roubaix, where Coquard will start his eleventh consecutive Hell of the North on Sunday morning — but the team's communications staff confirmed by phone that the deal is "in writing and signed by both parties" and that a full announcement will follow on Friday morning. Coquard's previous contract was due to expire on 31 December 2026.
Coquard has won 53 professional races in fourteen years on the WorldTour and ProTeam circuit and remains one of the most prolific French sprinters of his generation, but the 2025 season was his most modest in three years, with three victories and only twelve top-five finishes. The early stages of 2026 had reignited the speculation: by the end of the Volta Algarve in February he was on three top-tens; by Paris-Nice in March he had outsprinted Tim Merlier on stage 3 in a finish that prompted DS Christophe Mengin to say, "He is twenty-eight again. I do not know what they are putting in the coffee in the Vendée at the moment but I will take a litre." A second-place finish at Stage 1 of the Pays de la Loire Tour in his home region on Tuesday turned the conversation about his future from academic to urgent.
For Cofidis, the extension is a structural commitment as much as a sporting one. The team's 2026 sprint train was rebuilt around Coquard in December after the long-rumoured Sam Bennett move to Pinarello-Q36.5 finally materialised, and the French team have leaned on Coquard for sixty per cent of their Pro Series points so far this season. Cofidis sit eleventh in the WorldTour ranking heading into Roubaix week, four points behind tenth-placed Cofidis target Decathlon-AG2R-La Mondiale — a gap which Coquard's Sunday Roubaix and the back end of the Ardennes block could realistically close. Without him, the points run looks fragile.
The 33-year-old himself was characteristically blunt about the financial side of the deal in the brief Thursday-evening flash interview. "I am not the highest-paid rider in this peloton. I am not the highest-paid rider in this team. I am the rider in this team who has been here the longest and I would like to be the rider in this team who is here the longest, in the end." He described the negotiation, conducted entirely between his agent Stéphane Heulot and Cédric Vasseur over a single phone call last Friday evening, as "the easiest contract negotiation I have ever had". Asked whether the Decathlon and TotalEnergies approaches had been close, Coquard shook his head. "There were conversations. There were not offers. The only offer was the Cofidis offer."
Coquard now turns to the bigger immediate target: the seventeen-second gap to Vernon at the top of the Pays de la Loire Tour GC, with Friday's flat stage to Le Mans the most realistic of the two remaining sprint chances on the route. His record against Vernon — the 25-year-old NSN Pro Cycling sprinter who has won three races already in 2026 — is two wins to one in the head-to-heads to date, although both of Coquard's wins came in 2024 and the Briton's lone victory came at last month's Bredene Koksijde Classic. "Seventeen seconds is a gap I have erased from sprinters younger than Vernon at least three times in my career," Coquard told French television. "I am not making any promises about Friday. I am also not retiring on Sunday."
And then on Sunday morning he will line up in Compiègne for the eleventh Paris-Roubaix start of his career, his best-ever finish a 2018 sixth place that nobody outside the French press remembers. With his contract for 2027 finally on paper, the 33-year-old is now free to ride for the only thing he has not yet achieved at the Hell of the North — a top-five — without the conversation about his future overhanging every cobble. Cofidis will not be the favourites at any point on Sunday afternoon. Coquard, after Thursday's announcement, no longer needs to be.