NEW: Cycling Mugs — Premium UK-Made Gifts for Cycling Fans. Shop Now →
Breaking News

"She Remembers Nothing From Hornaing To The Velodrome" — Uno-X Confirm Kamilla Aasebø Discharged From Lille University Hospital With Grade-Three Concussion And Two Fractured Ribs, But Will Miss The Full Ardennes Block As Norwegian Federation Opens Independent Review Into Sector 19 Pile-Up

Four days after being stretchered off the cobbles of Sector 19 Hornaing à Wandignies midway through Paris-Roubaix Femmes, Uno-X Mobility confirmed on Thursday morning that Kamilla Aasebø has been discharged from Lille University Hospital and flown home to Oslo on a medically-accompanied flight. The 24-year-old Norwegian, who was lying seventh on the road when she went down in a five-rider pile-up on the entry to the 3.7-kilometre sector, has been diagnosed with a grade-three concussion, two fractured ribs on her right side and a deep contusion to her left hip. She will not start any of the three women's Ardennes races.

"She remembers nothing from Hornaing to the velodrome," Uno-X team doctor Annette Strømshaug said in a written statement released at 09:15 CET. "Kamilla has short-term amnesia consistent with a grade-three concussion. She knows she crashed, she knows she is in hospital, and she knows we are taking her home. She does not remember the ambulance, the helicopter transfer, or the first thirty hours at Lille. This is not unusual. What is unusual is the density of the pile-up she was involved in — five riders at 46 kilometres per hour onto wet cobbles is a crash pattern we have studied very carefully over the last four days." Uno-X have deliberately kept Aasebø off the public media platforms she would normally use until her neurological observation period is complete, which Strømshaug said would take "another seven to ten days at least."

The crash itself has become a subject of formal review by the Norwegian Cycling Federation, which announced on Wednesday evening that it would conduct an independent analysis of the Hornaing entry in parallel with the UCI's own ongoing post-race safety audit. The entry to Sector 19 had been widened from 4.2 metres to 5.6 metres in a route modification approved in January, but the five-rider crash occurred precisely at the transition point where the tarmac road narrows back to the cobble track. "We are not accusing the organisers of anything," federation president Sven Bystrøm said. "We are asking the UCI to share the data and the camera footage so that we can understand what happened to our rider. That is a reasonable ask for any national federation when one of its athletes is helicoptered off a Monument." The UCI has confirmed it will cooperate.

For Uno-X Mobility, the loss of Aasebø is a sporting blow that comes on top of two weeks of bad news. The Norwegian squad had been building the team's entire Ardennes campaign around her — she finished fifth at Amstel Gold Race Ladies in 2025 and her coach Henrik Olsen described her recent Ardennes build-up as "the best three-week block she has ever produced." The team will now start Pauline Ferrand-Prévot's championship rivals on 19 April with a depleted seven-rider roster led by Anna Henderson and Swedish climber Wilma Olausson. "We are not going to field someone who is not ready to race to fill a number," sports director Thor Hushovd said. "We will start seven. That is the right call."

The bigger conversation that Aasebø's crash has surfaced inside the women's peloton is one that Marlen Reusser, Kim Le Court and a number of other team captains have been raising for weeks — that the density of the women's classics field has outgrown the road furniture designed for the 2015-era peloton. "We have more riders, we have more teams, we have better bikes, and we have cobbles that are exactly as narrow as they were ten years ago," Le Court said on a Wednesday podcast recorded from her AG Insurance-Soudal recovery camp in Nice. "Until the UCI and the organisers sit down and have a proper conversation about sector density, we are going to keep having crashes like Kamilla's. That is the uncomfortable truth."

What happens next for Aasebø in the medium term is a question Strømshaug and the team have deliberately declined to answer. "Kamilla is 24, she is one of the most talented classics riders in the world, and she will race at the Giro d'Italia Donne if she wants to race at the Giro d'Italia Donne," the doctor said. "But we are not rushing anyone with a grade-three concussion back onto a bike. If that means she misses the Giro, she misses the Giro. If that means she misses the Tour de France Femmes, we will discuss that when we discuss it. The only deadline that matters this week is Kamilla's recovery." Aasebø is expected to spend the next two weeks on complete neurological rest at her family home in Lillehammer, with a second MRI scheduled for 1 May.

The Norwegian Federation's review is expected to report in late May and will feed into the UCI's annual spring-classics safety brief, which is typically published at the July Management Committee meeting. For the peloton this weekend, however, the effect of Aasebø's absence will be immediate: her Amstel Gold Race Ladies start number — 37 — will be left unfilled on the startsheet as a symbolic gesture, at the request of Uno-X and with the agreement of race organisers Flanders Classics. "It is one empty number on a startsheet," Hushovd said. "It is also a reminder that every rider on that startsheet takes a risk to be there. We stand with Kamilla. We look forward to seeing her back on the bike when her body and her brain are ready."

Related Articles